Together We Can Pass Jake’s Bill!
The purpose of Jake’s Bill is to incorporate evidence-based substance misuse prevention curriculum throughout 5-12th grade to better equip our youth in the dangers of drugs, and especially opioids, in order to prevent use, abuse, and overdoses.
I am Sheri Schmaus, the founder of the For Jake’s Sake Foundation. I lost a son at 21 years of age to a heroin overdose. Losing a child—especially to such a wicked drug as heroin—is a tragedy I hope no parent or loved one ever has to go through. Please help me and my foundation pass Jake’s Bill through the MN House of Representatives this year so we can get education and awareness in our school systems! The best way to stop heroin and opioid addiction is to never let it start.
Please be a part of this important work and let’s create a great movement together. Please also consider a donation of $25 to help us continue in our efforts — DONATE HERE.
- **UPDATE** 3/18/18: Tuesday, March 13th we testified at the capital and had so much support for Jake’s Bill that we were invited back! Chair Loon scheduled us for Education Finance on Tuesday, March 20!
- **UPDATE** 3/20/18: We just received word that we will also be testifying in front of the Senate on Thursday, March 22nd! Please contact us if you’d like to join us!
- **UPDATE** 3/30/18: We have testified at all committees and now we wait for the bill to pass! Keep calling your house and senate members!
- **UPDATE** 4/20/18: We are still waiting for a vote! Please continue to call your members of Congress and let’s get Jake’s Law passed!
- **UPDATE** 5/23/18: Jake’s Bill was wrapped into the Omnibus Bill and has passed through both the House and Senate. Currently, the fate of Jake’s Bill becoming a law rests on the shoulders of Governor Dayton and the decision will be made within the next week. We are still hopeful this has a chance of passing!
- **UPDATE** 5/23/18: We are disheartened to report that Governor Dayton vetoed the Omnibus Bill and that Jake’s Law will have to try again for next year. We’d like to thank everyone for their hard work on our behalf and to let you know we are never giving up on this!